Monday, May 25, 2015

Fun in the sun! Sunscreens and other preventative items for those sunny days! + tips for those who are photosensitive!


Hey everyone!

Since it is beginning to get warmer out, I thought that I'd share with you some of my favorite products for the sunny days!

First off I wanted to say that I have photosensitivity, and this post is aimed for those alike, and those that need to be protected from the sun as well (which is EVERYONE!) :)

Starting Top down:


This is one area that people tend to forget about a lot. Please remember that your scalp is very susceptible to damage from the sun, and to cover that noggin! My Grandpa has actually had skin cancer twice on his scalp, and his hair is thin but he isn't balding. Having hair does not completely protect your head! 

Here I have a fedora style hat from Target (Buy it here!) and the It's a 10 miracle leave-in for Blondes (which I reviewed here!).

The hat helps to keep the sun away from both my scalp, and part of my forehead. I'm still not sure how I feel about hats, but if it helps to prevent me from hurting later on then it is worth it!

The It's a 10 leave-in has UV protection in it, which is PERFECT for those days out in the sun! (You can read more of my thoughts on it in this post!)

Sunglasses:



Sunglasses are SUPER important! Not only can they make you look and feel cool, and keep the sun out of your eyes, they also protect them! Your eyes can actually get sunburned too, believe it or not, and I don't know about you but that doesn't sound pleasant to me! 

Of course, broad spectrum sunglasses are the best, but even a little something helps. The sunglasses protect both your eyes, and the delicate skin around them, so the bigger the sunglasses the better in some cases! This prevents wrinkles and sunspots around there too!

I have the aviator sunglasses from American Eagle, and the Cat eye sunglasses from Old Navy (both purchased last year). 

Side note- if you have blue eyes then your eyes are more sensitive to light, so keep them peepers covered!


Face Sunscreens:



I have 2 sunscreens for the face here because they both are different texture wise. The Neutrogena Clear Face sunscreen in SPF 55 is thicker, and can easily take the place of your moisturizer. I find that this moisturizer is a little bit more greasy feeling (as compared to the next one I'll mention). I use this sunscreen if I am not applying makeup over the top, because it is just too heavy. Don't get me wrong - I do like this stuff, just not so much for every day wear!

My favorite sunscreen to use on the daily is the L'Oreal silky sheer in SPF 50+. This also can take the place of your moisturizer, however, I really like my moisturizer (the Origins GinZing moisturizer!) and like to mix the two. This seems to blend in really well with the moisturizer, but it also feels nice on its own! One of my favorite things about this sunscreen is that it leaves my skin with an almost matte like finish. No greasy or oily feeling either! 

Body sunscreens:



I was advised by my rheumatologist a little while ago that I always need to wear sunscreen. Yes, this is the case for everyone, but sunscreen is crucial for me. 

Reminder- when applying sunscreen make sure that it is at least an SPF of 15 (but at least 30 is better ;)) and also remember to reapply often. Applying once is simply not going to cut it... PLEASE reapply more! If using a spray kind, apply it somewhere where the wind won't carry it away, and try your best to apply it evenly! 

I recently tried this one from Neutrogena and I like it! First off, it smells amaaazing, and second of all I haven't even felt like I was burning while wearing it. Does SPF 70 really protect better than something like 30-45? I can't really tell you, but what I can say is that it is pretty darn good. End of story.

The next sunscreen is one that I am not sure if it is still available or not. I haven't seen it in stores, and it doesn't show up online for me. Possibly it is has been renamed under the "invisible dry oil spray"? No clue, but what I can say is that I am actually scared to use this up in case if it is not in fact available anymore. I like this because it is nourishing, smells good, gets me a nice tan, and lasts a long time. One thing though, is that it is an oil, but have no fear! Just spritz it on and rub a little and it soaks right in. I don't use this if I am planning on putting clothes on to go out somewhere later, for fear of the oil ruining clothes. 

And last but not least in this category is The Honest Company's Honest Sunscreen lotion. I have yet to really give this a try. Even though they make a lot of products for babies, The Honest Company's products are perfect for adults as well! This sunscreen didn't have a scent at all initially, but now I am noticing that it smells like olive oil. This is better to me than a nasty chemical smell!

If you still aren't so sure about sunscreen, another thing to consider is possibly beach pants or kimonos and coverups. It's no secret that the more that your skin is covered, the less UV rays can get in. Of course, if you are wearing clothing items that are sheer you still need to wear sunscreen underneath!

Nails:




It is very important to remember to apply sunscreen to your hands, but there is also something else that you can do to protect your nails. Yes, you read that right! If you want to keep your nails from becoming brittle from the sun, then add a layer of polish! You can go the cool colorful route, the chic route, or just the plain clear way! It's completely up to you!

Here I have Essie's Bikini so Teeny, and Serial Shopper. Both are beautiful colors, and I had never thought of combining them until I swatched them side by side one day (I couldn't decide what to choose!) I'll have a post soon on how they turned out! :) 

Also- if you are nervous about the sun fading your nail polish color, then add a top coat. 

And last, but certainly not least, LIPS!


This is so commonly overlooked, but lips are your thinnest skin, and require extra protection (now I sound like a Chapstick commercial! haha). Even putting an SPF of 10 on your lips can help, because sunburned lips are one of the worst things ever!

Pictured here is the Fresh Market Açai Berry Lip Balm in SPF 15 and the Lip Smackers Lip Balm in SPF 24 (what are weird SPF number!) with Sebastian on it! 

Hey, look who stopped on by! This is the Sebastian Tsum from the Disney store, and he is here to wish you a safe time having fun in the sun! Plus, he also wanted to pose like his picture on the tube! ;)


Tips if you are photosensitive:

Just because you are photosensitive it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the sun! When going outside remember to have your sunscreen, and to allow yourself plenty of time in the shade. When going from the colder months to the warmer, take it easy getting back into the sun. Don't go outside on the first sunny day and over-do it (I learned this the hard way). I noticed that as it has been sunnier out and I have been outside more, that I can actually be in the sun longer before being in pain. I think it just takes time for my body to warm up (no pun intended ;)) to the idea of being in the sun again. 

Also, drink plenty of fluids. When I am out in the sun I tend to feel like I am dehydrating faster than I used to before I got sick. The fluids help all around! 

Alright, so enough of this long post! Thanks for reading!
xoxo,
Katie 


7 comments:

  1. These photos rock. So beachy. I love it. I want that Sebastian lip balm. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just went to the Lip Smacker website and OH MY GOODNESS I am addicted! You can get the Sebastian lip balm I have here - http://www.lipsmacker.com/our-products/disney/sebastian-s-calypso-berry.html
      or this one!-
      http://www.lipsmacker.com/our-products/disney/sebastian-flounder.html

      Thank you for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. i tend to stay out of the sun haha but this is helpful! definitely important to wear sunscreen & sunglasses :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sun WAY more than it loves me! haha! and thank you :)

      Delete
  3. haha! I just realised Sebastian is on your picture ! i love Tsum Tsum ! they are so cute ! I love Sebastian :)


    I love the two Essie nail polishes, they look little little flowers xx

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha he had to make his debut!! I couldn't resist :)

      Thank you!
      Katie

      Delete