Saturday, January 17, 2015

Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation | Review


I am so happy to finally be getting this post up! This foundation is my absolute favorite for so many reasons, as you will read soon!





I love it so much I have it in 3 different shades for the different seasons.

Shades left to right: 51 vanille clair, 52 vanille, and 53 beige clair

Oh my, where do I start?! I began using this foundation only a year ago, and from the first application I completely understood why everyone raved about it. I fell in love! It felt smooth, looked radiant, smelled nice, and matched my skin tone nicely. I feel like today there are so many foundations out there that are suited for those with pink undertones, and not enough for more neutral skin tones. I naturally have both some pink and yellow undertones, and this foundation (all 3 shades) really help to balance it out.

 One downside is that if you have really pale or dark skin, you may not be able to find a shade that works for you... I hope they decide to add more shades to the range at some point. As of right now the lightest shade possible that you can get is light vanilla 51, and the darkest is bronze (57?).

Background information:

In case if you didn't know, Bourjois owns Chanel, and I have heard that this particular foundation is very similar (if not identical to) the Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Foundation that retails for $45 here in the United States. I can't personally give you my opinion on that because I haven't ever used a single Chanel product (or the vitalumière foundation), but others have said that the Bourjois Healthy Mix is just as good, plus it is WAY cheaper!

I will warn you now, Bourjois is not available in the US, but you can purchase it online at ASOS.com. I will discuss this more at the end of this post!

Claims:

This foundation is infused with "fruit therapy", which hydrates and illuminates the skin.
"Give your skin a radiance boost and leave it looking flawless for up to 16 hours! Bourjois' new Radiance Reveal Healthy Mix foundation is enriched with a fruit therapy formula to enhance your complexion."
So what fruits are in it and what do they do?
  • Apricot for radiance
  •  Melon for hydration
  • Apple to protect your youth 
 These fruits are what give the foundation a wonderful scent. It is absolutely amazing! Some may not like it, because it could aggravate the skin, but I haven't ever experienced any issues with it. The scent is light enough and doesn't linger. It smells "fruity" but I use that term loosely. It is more fresh than fruity in my opinion. The apricot is what you can smell the most!
"It is also enriched with crystalline pigments to even out the complexion while letting in the natural light for that healthy glow."
And glow it does! It is SUPER natural! I get a rash on my cheeks, nose, and chin from time to time and this actually covers it pretty well and evens out the rest of my complexion.

Does this foundation really last for 16 hours? Not perfectly, but I usually wear my foundation for anywhere from 5-14 hours of the day, depending on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and what not. I have to say, that on the days that I wear it for 12 + hours it still looks pretty darn good! It really does last and sometimes the longer you wear it the better it looks! Impressive :)

Texture and consistency:
"It's soft, fresh texture easily blends onto the skin for a comfortable flawless finish leaving you with beautiful, radiant, and hydrated skin for 8 hours."
The texture of this foundation is absolutely incredible! It is so smooth and just glides over everything! I apply it using either the Real Techniques Buffing brush or my Tarte kabuki brush (which I got with a pressed powder years ago). I originally used the Real Techniques expert face brush with this foundation, however it did make the foundation appear slightly streaky.
I have combination skin, and it's really difficult to describe. Some days I am more oily, some days I have more dry skin... bizarre. This foundation works really well on either day, because if I am more dry it just glides over those dry patches, and if I'm more oily then I can make sure just to powder it really well.

It doesn't dry too quickly, nor too slowly. It's nice because I have enough time to apply it and blend it out everywhere, but it doesn't stay tacky forever either.

When you pump it out onto the back of your hand (or whatever you use), you can see that it is slightly on the runny side. It isn't as runny as some foundations out there, but there is a certain amount of fluidity to it. I think that this consistency is what aids in the easy application, so I love it!


Packaging:

The foundation comes in a glass bottle with a pump. There is 30 ml (1 fl. oz.) of product, which I believe is pretty standard for a foundation. The pump is wonderful! I haven't experienced any issues with it, like it sticking or getting clogged.

My first bottle unfortunately succumbed to its death by crashing onto the floor while I was away. I wish that the bottle was plastic in this case, because accidents happen, however, I do like the feeling of the glass because it feels like a high end product. The cap snaps on tightly, and it doesn't accidentally push on the pump either. Speaking of the pump, one pump generally puts out a decent amount of product. I usually need around a pump and a half to two pumps to cover my whole face.

One side of the bottle is written in French, and the other side is written in English. The shade number is both listed on a label on the cap, as well as on the body of the bottle in case if the label on the lid peels off.

Overall, I really like this packaging. It's chic, beautiful, and pretty sturdy as long as you don't drop it from a far distance. I love the pump because it is more hygienic, as well as it helps to prevent too much product coming out.

Swatches:

Typically I am the shade 52, however I am currently trying out shade 51. Naturally, my face is darker than the rest of my body in the winter (yes, sounds reversed I know). Shade 52 matches my face perfectly, but compared to the rest of my body (say for example I am wearing a cardigan and tank top where you can see the upper part of my chest) it looks like I chose a foundation too dark. *Sigh*  I kinda wish that it was the other way around and that my face was lighter than my body. Oh well....

Swatches left to right: 51, 52, 53





As you can see, there is a variation between the colors. The shade 53 is good for me in the summertime when I have been in the sun. It is pretty crazy to think that all of these colors work for me at some point in the year! I am actually not as pale as most people (might be denial ;) ) so if you are very pale with more pink undertones I don't think shade 51 would work for you unfortunately.

Finish/coverage:

The finish is technically a satin finish. It is "dewy" but just the right amount. I think it is absolutely beautiful! I look so radiant, and like I'm glowing from within. When I first started wearing this foundation I received so many compliments on how "good" my skin looked. I can definitely say that this foundation is not "sparkly". I can say that it is luminous, but there are not glitter particles in there whatsoever. The light catches in the right places and just looks awesome!

I am being treated for Lupus, and I occasionally get a rash as I said before. At first glance you wouldn't think that this foundation could cover it all that well, but believe me, it does! Most would agree that this foundation has a medium to heavy coverage, but don't let that scare you. I find that I can even make this foundation a light coverage, but build it up to whatever coverage I please. I still can see some of the redness from the rash shine through occasionally, but I kind of like that because I don't feel like I'm wearing a mask. I would say that on just about everyone your skin still shines through and that is what helps to create that natural effect. I can feel my skin breathe, and it feels like I'm wearing nothing!

This foundation does not break me out or accentuate my pores at all. It doesn't crease up or look cakey either.

This is going to sound bizarre, but sometimes I think that this foundation looks better the longer I wear it! I have been setting it with the e.l.f. high definition powder, and that seems to help it stay longer and not make me too dewy, but still keep the finish.


Why I love this foundation:

Ok, I'm just going to list all of the reasons why, because there are a LOT!

  1. The scent. I like the scent because it is so different than other foundations out there. I have dealt with some foundations smelling like glue or rubber, and I don't fancy that very much.
  2. The shades. Like I mentioned above, these colors work for me because of my skin tone. If you have more pink undertones than yellow, you may think the opposite.
  3. The coverage. Again, I mentioned it above, but it really helps me feel better when I feel like I look more presentable. It is also build-able! Major plus for me!
  4. Consistency. Not too thick, not too runny. Also doesn't dry too fast or too slow.
  5. Doesn't break me out. Enough said.
  6. Packaging. I love the pump, and I do like the feeling of the bottle. Just make sure not to drop it!
  7. Finish. I feel like I'm not wearing makeup, it looks radiant and natural, lasts long, and allows my skin to breathe. Ah-mazing.
  8. Price! This foundation is cheaper than what I used before, which was the Makeup Forever HD Foundation. That foundation was really nice, but it was more expensive ($42 for roughly the same amount of product) and I like the Bourjois foundation better! I buy my Bourjois foundations through ASOS and it is usually on sale when I get it. The starting price is around $18-$19, so as you can see, WAY cheaper! 
  9. Works well with concealers. Some foundations work weird with concealers, but this one works like a dream!

Things that I wish were different:


  1. The shades. I know what you're thinking... you put that as a positive, so why is it a negative too? It is a negative because it doesn't have the biggest range of shades and this foundation really will only work for some. I think that it is so amazing that I wish that EVERYONE could find a shade for them.
  2. Availability. This foundation isn't readily available in the US, so I have to order it online. If you are anything like me it is painful waiting for a package! *Pro to this though- you can track the package to see where it is!*
  3. Glass bottle could potentially break easily. I have only had this happen one time, and it landed on tile from a high distance, thus causing the shatter. 
  4. Occasionally I feel like my skin is a little oily. This only really happens if I didn't powder my face or if my brushes are dirty and filled with too much product. 
  5. Product doesn't last very long. I'm not sure if this is because the consistency is a little runny or what, but I feel like I run out of this product quicker than others. 


If you are interested in this foundation, but you live in the States then you can purchase it from ASOS here. They run sales pretty regularly too, so that is even better!

If you live in the UK or any other European country then you probably have seen this around. No matter where you live I HIGHLY recommend trying it! It is the best foundation out there!

While I was taking the photos for this post, my cat decided to join, so I thought you may enjoy seeing a little "behind the scenes" picture! :)

Kitty photobombing the photos for this post :)

Did this post help? I sure hope so! Feel free to comment below, I would love to read them! 
Take care,
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment