Monday, January 5, 2015

Bourjois collection | Reviews


*LONG POST*


Today I have another collection post for you guys, and it is on a Parisian brand that is not available in the United States. I have purchased this all from Asos.com and overall I'm very pleased!

I apologize now, because there are many photos for this collection, but I personally love it when people include many photos so that I can see what the product looks like! Plus I just find it helpful, and I hope you do too!

I owe it to Essiebutton for recommending Bourjois in the first place. Without her videos on these products I wouldn't have these products in my life!




First up is the Bourjois Healthy mix foundation and Healthy Balance Unifying Powder:



 First things first (I'm the realist.. sorry guys I had too!) I ADORE the liquid foundation. I mean I am absolutely IN LOVE with it! This bottle right here is my second bottle of the shade vanilla, but I also have it in the shade light beige (beige clair) for the summer, and I have a light vanilla (vanille clair) on the way!
So I guess that makes it a grand total of 4 of these glass bottles that I have/will have? WOW! I have honestly never repurchased something so much! AND, I haven't even been using it for quite a whole year yet! In a couple of days I can officially say it's been a year! My poor first bottle succumbed to its death by crashing on the tile flooring thanks to my cat's obsession with sitting on the counter and sink. *sigh*. It could have been my dear brother too... men. Haha!

I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy these while I was in Paris in 2012, granted I didn't know about this brand yet, but how this packaging never caught my eye boggles me! I remember seeing the body washes from Bourjois when I went to Monoprix many times.... I guess I never really looked at the makeup in any store? I don't know, but that's besides the point!

I'm planning on writing up a post completely on this foundation alone, because I have just so much to say about it. That way I can go in depth on the packaging, claims, finish, coverage and much more. I think that would be the best solution!
Here it is! If you're interested in JUST this foundation, then click here and read all about it! :)

When I first started using this foundation I got so many comments and compliments I couldn't believe it! People said that I looked very luminous, radiant, and that my skin looked amazing, which is HUGE since without it I have redness and occasionally a rash due to possible lupus. I find that this covers it up and makes me look a lot better overall!

My only complaint is that I tend to go through this foundation pretty quickly. I wish it could last forever! I'm praying that I can always order it from somewhere. There is also a serum version of this foundation that is lighter, gel based, and more suited for those who have dry skin. I decided to buy this as well, and so far so good! :)

Next up- Unifying Powder:




I originally purchased this to use as a setting powder, as sometimes the foundation's luminous finish can make me look a little too dewy. I bought it in the shade 53 light beige (beige clair) because to me the vanilla looked like it may be too light. I do kinda regret that decision now, because light beige is a tad too dark for me in the winter. This powder honestly does not give off that much color, so it doesn't work that well on its own. I have noticed that when I apply this over my foundation (in vanilla) it really warms it up and maybe that's what is contributing to it being too dark? 

What it claims:
It claims to give you 10 hours of a matte finish and a healthy glow. I don't agree with the 10 hour claim, but it does mattify my skin all together for a little while. Overall I look "matte-not-flat" which is great. I still have that glow which is super fantastic!

Texture:
The texture is so fine and nice! It's like butter! When I first rubbed my finger against it to swatch it I felt as though I wasn't picking up any product because it felt so smooth! But indeed I was actually picking up product! I don't even feel the product on my skin because it is so smooth! 

Like the healthy mix foundation, it has fruit therapy. The fruits are different in the powder than it is in the foundation though. It honestly smells so good! It is fruity, but not like you think. It smells fresh in my opinion. The scent isn't as strong as it is in the liquid foundation, however. 

Packaging:
As you can see from the photos, the powder comes in a circular red plastic compact with a nice mirror. I can definitely find the compact when I'm looking for it because of the color!



 I do like this powder, however, I don't know if I would necessarily repurchase it. I have enough time to think about it since I started using it about only 6 or 7 months ago and am far from hitting pan!

*update* - I have finally hit pan after using this almost daily for over a year! It lasts a looooong time!

Poudre Brozante | Bronzing Powder




Next up is the Délice de poudre Bronzing powder. This is a favorite of many, since for most people it is light enough to use for contouring.

As most may already know, this bronzer is supposed to look and smell like a chocolate bar! I don't think that it smells exactly like chocolate, but I didn't expect it to smell spot on. What it does smell like is... well artificial chocolate. I know that probably made no sense, but what it reminds me of is when you buy scented markers, or sometimes you can get "pretend" makeup for little kids that might smell like this. It isn't a revolting smell, just not my favorite. The scent doesn't linger on your face after application though, so no worries there!

Packaging:
I like the packaging because it really does remind me of a chocolate bar! It opens like a book, which is also pretty neat! I don't have anything else like it! There are magnets on the side, so the lid actually stays shut as well. I like how the brand name is engraved into 2 of the squares also. It just reminds me of a chocolate bar and it's adorable!

I expected this to be a little larger than it is. When I first picked it up it was way smaller than I expected, but still big enough to be a good sized bronzer.

It claims to be filled with "glints of sunshine", so I tried to capture the shimmer in it. Since there is a shimmer, it isn't necessarily the best to use as a contour color, because with contouring you want to use something matte to create a shadow essentially. The shimmer is minimal though, so it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Glints of sunshine 
Information on the "glints of sunshine"
Overall, this is my least favorite product in my Bourjois collection. I felt as though the color was too red for my skin, and that it enhanced the redness I already have on my cheeks. It also felt kinda heavy and chalky to me. But like I said, I'll give it another shot.

Blush Exclusif:



I had a hard time photographing the packaging, so I apologize that it is kinda blurry!

Packaging:

Another product that was smaller than I expected! I expected it to be the size of a Tarte amazonian clay blush, or even the size of the Unifying powder, not sure why! It is waaaay smaller than that! It fits perfectly into the palm of my hand, and I can almost wrap my whole hand around it! This is both a good thing and a bad thing that it is so small. Good because it is easy to throw into a bag and it doesn't take up too much room, and a not so good thing because then it is difficult to locate!

It comes in a plastic compact that has a metallic finish on the top. At the front there is a little dot that you can use to get the compact open. What I really like is that it has a magnetic closure that ensures that the lid won't come flying open out of nowhere. This too has a nice mirror!

Color and texture:

Ok, so this is called Blush Exlusif because it changes to suit you. When you first open the compact and look at the color it looks a little frightening because it looks so bright! 

I'm not sure if it transforms based on heat, pH, or what.... I can tell you though that sometimes when I touch the blush the blush will become a deeper shade in the pan too.... so maybe it's due to the temperature of your skin? I'm not sure but it is pretty cool I must say! I swatched it on my hand and I am watching it slowly transform while I type! Again, not sure what causes the transformation, but I like it! On me it is a pink with blue undertones which is perfect!

On the cheeks it's quite natural. It really isn't as bright or scary looking as when you see it in the pan. 

The texture is interesting. I want to say that Estée (Essiebutton) had the same experience as I did, that it seems as though it is a powder to cream, instead of a cream to powder. It is pretty cool! What I mean by this is that when you initially touch the blush it feels like it is powdery, then turns creamy! So crazy! Typically you hear of cream to powder blushes, but this seems like the opposite. Strange. It does blend nicely though!

If you're wondering how I apply it, I use my fingers because 1. the compact is too small to fit a brush, and 2. because you need the warmth of your fingers to actually get any product up. 

I can't quite put my finger on what the smell is... almost like licorice? It is so faint, and to really smell it you have to hold the compact up closely. I'm not even a fan of licorice or the way it smells, but I do like this scent!


Swatch of Blush Exclusif
This blush is also nice to use as a base for other blushes to go on top! I honestly don't feel it on my face or anything and it really doesn't budge either!

Pricing for these products:

I usually purchase all of my Bourjois items on sale through ASOS when they are running a sale, which they do regularly!
*prices could change*

Healthy mix foundation: Regularly $18.95,
                                         Sale- usually $13.54

Healthy mix Unifying powder: Regularly $17.06
                                                   Sale-$11.61
Bronzing Powder: Regularly $15.14
                              Sale- unknown
*There are also other versions of this available now! They have the bronzer and illuminator duo, as well as a "gold" version that is more shimmery!

Blush Exclusif: I can't find this on the Asos website anymore, but I know I paid $10.64 for it with a sale.

My experience with Asos has been fantastic! They provide tracking so that you know where your package is at all times! Plus they do deliver pretty quickly!

You can purchase some Bourjois products from Urban Outfitters' website, but I will warn you that it is way more expensive. I find that Asos has been the most reliable this far!

I love Bourjois products so much, and I wish that I could purchase more from them!

Once I receive the light Vanilla foundation I will do a whole review on just he Healthy Mix Foundation! Stay tuned :)
Take care!
~Katie

2 comments:

  1. I love Bourjois! I have the foundation and bronzer here, they're definite staples! The powder is on my wish list now, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I hope that you like it whenever you buy it! Bourjois is soooo good too :)

      Delete